Thursday, December 19, 2013

Sleep - post for 12/18/13

Sleep Deprivation is the name of the Game.

So, I missed class yesterday. Nice. Its because my tired ass wouldn't wake up after the long ass night at work. I literally dragged my ass into bed after 7:30 am on Wednesday morning and didn't wake up until I sleep text messaged Cerrissa at 4:20 to tell her I wasn't coming to class. I'm glad she gets me because this is what I sent to her:




Sleep deprivation is so fun! I need this class to start later. But I digress...

I was so excited to go to work yesterday because my boss allowed me to collaborate with her on the special for our Red Chair NWPA beer release. She was making a Red Chair Steak Chili and I made a Potato Rosemary bread bowl for it. I was totally stoked to get rolling on my first menu special collaboration. 



And then I got to work. Usually on a Tuesday night, we have hardly anything to do, and the second graveyard baker is at risk of being called off for the night. But this night, we had double to do on almost everything! And the special on top of it all! Challenge accepted. 

336 Brioche rolls? Yep. 
54 Italian rolls? You betcha.
50lbs of Pretzel Cheese? Why not?
72 Pretzels? Fuck yeah!
Pizza, pizza, pizza? Ugh...I guess. 

And then, the main event. The special. The one bread to top them all. The bread that will have our drunken guests raving about the chili and sucking down as much Red Chair as their alcohol systems can handle. The beauty of a roll that will be stuffed with goodness and slurped down by the masses! Okay, so its just a bread bowl, I know it wont be the bread that stops traffic or has people talking for years to come, but still, it is my brain child so to speak. I get to execute if from start to finish. From modifying the ingredients to make it my own and converting the amounts on the ingredients to get the right yield to baking it to perfection. 

Alright. I got this. I will make that recipe quake in awe of my baking skills. Damn right I got this! 

Oh....but wait! What's this? Damn proofer jumped up to 95 degrees when I wasn't looking?! Those suckers got HUGE! Oh my gosh! Quick, retard them! Why is the damn refrigerator so far from the proofer?! They are going to deflate! My beautiful bread bowls will be bread plates instead! All that prep work. All that fermentation time. All that portioning and shaping. For nothing! Its 3:30 in the morning...there's not enough time to redo them. What am I going to do about this?? My boss is counting on these. The release will fail without them...the beer wont sell...people will storm out of the restaurant and immediately go to their Yelp apps and give us bad reviews...then the company will go under. And it will be all MY fault! Crap! 

Whoa whoa whoa...slow your roll girl. Just breathe. Bake them off and see what happens. Stop doubting yourself...remember what you learned in school. Come on now, you got this! 

See? I can't believe you doubted me! They were a hit! 




No comments:

Post a Comment